Friday, August 15, 2008

Ethics

I've thought a little more about the interview I talked about in the previous post, and talked to a couple more people about it. One of my friends reminded me that when the time sheet auditors come around the company recommends we use a "cheat sheet" to be sure we give the correct answers to the questions they might ask. The "cheat sheet" term is used by everyone in the company, including the people who do the time sheet training. We hand write the hours, any pertinent information, and any changes to our time sheets over here. In the time sheet classes, we are told to carry our "cheat sheets" with us, in case we are audited by the government compliance people. A better name for the time sheet "cheat sheet" in an ideal world might be an "time sheet information page." I seriously doubt if I could have any impact toward changing the name of the "cheat sheet."

I realized why the HR guy was bent about me having a copy of the SOP's with me at the interview. It is because this company sees any written aid to an interview as a "cheat sheet." If it weren't for the fact I need the money so desperately to get out of debt, and go back to school to finish the training to get my FAA Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic's rating, I am not sure how long I could continue to work for a company that views ethics in such a different manner as I do. I don't think I will ever be able to tolerate working for a company which I view as unethical again after I leave here. On a recurring basis, there has been talk during orientation and from upper management about "core values" with this company. When the "core values" include a "cheat sheet" it is time to be concerned, in my honest opinion. I guess I'm also getting paranoid, as I went thru both blogs, and made sure there was no mention of the name of the company I am working for. If I did mention the company name, it could be inferred I am giving away company secrets, and that IS a terminable offense.

No comments: